Well, well, whale. The time has come for every blogger across the world tells you why their favorite album of the year is better than yours. Well, I’m no different. I’m right, you’re wrong. Or something like that. As some of you may know, I like to think of myself as a music vlogger or something, so my list is actually in video form. Four videos actually. The first one is my list of EPs, splits and honorable mentions. Then a brief break and I get down to the nitty-gritty. Thanks for watching and thanks for reading my idiotic words.
Well, that was that. If you’ve gotten this far, hopefully you’ll indulge me by checking out my TOP 40 ALBUMS OF THE YEAR. If you don’t want to watch, you can peep the list at the bottom of the post. Murray Chrysler, folks. Let’s get the hell out of this piss-poor, shit-heel of a year.
40. DEL PAXTON – All Day, Every Day, All Night: Buffalo-based emo. Super-fun debut.
39. IRON REAGAN – Crossover Ministry: You all know this band. They rule.
38. NY IN 64 – The Gentle Indifference Of The Night: New Jersey instrumental hardcore.
37. THE ACACIA STRAIN – Gravebloom: Longrunning act produces killer 8th album.
36. IMPALERS – Cellar Dweller: I can’t believe it’s not Swedish d-beat.
35. ARTIFICAL BRAIN – Infrared Horizons: Some of the finest techdeath in memory.
34. HEAT – Overnight: Montreal melodic alt-rock. Another killer debut.
33. HALSEY – Hopeless Fountain Kingdom: My lady does it again. Electropop goodness.
32. LOGAN OST – One of my favorite movies of the year has equally killer soundtrack.
31. SAMPHA – Process: British soul/R&B singer. Beautiful debut album. Love. Love. Love.
30. SLOWDIVE – Slowdive: English shoegazing rock. First album in 22 years.
29. HO99O9 – United States Of Horror: Experimental hip-hop-hardcore-punk duo rule.
28. A GHOST STORY OST – Another favorite movie of the year. Daniel Hart. Dark Rooms.
27. AFI – AFI: Long running alt rock/punk band releases their 10th album. Really fun.
26. LOSS – Horizonless: Nashville death doom act’s sophomore album crushes skulls.
25. PLANNING FOR BURIAL – Below The House: Pennsylvania doomgaze will numb you.
24. DROID – Terrestrial Mutations: Sci-Fi progressive thrash will space you out.
23. WOLFBRIDAGE – Run With The Hunted: I CAN believe it’s Swedish d-beat.
22. LEDGE – Cold Hard Concrete: Doomsludge that rose from Weekend Nachos.
21. NESSERIA – Cette Erosion De Nous Memes: French grindy hardcore awesomeness
20. INTEGRITY – Howling… For The Nightmare Shall Consume: Hardcore punk legends haven’t lost a step.
19. MORAL VOID – Deprive: Crust newcomers steal the show.
18. WEAR YOUR WOUNDS – WYW: J. Bannon post-rocks my face off.
17. HELPLESS – Debt: Mathcore newcomers spazz my shorts off.
16. FRIENDSHIP – Hatred: Japanese grindcore that hates everything with a pulse.
15. THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER – Nightbringers: Melo-death masters take the world.
14. THE DRIP – The Haunting Fear Of Inevitability: Washington grind does the body good.
13. PARADISE LOST – Medusa: Doom legends put some death back in their step.
12. ALL PIGS MUST DIE – Hostage Animal: ‘Nuff said.
11. I HATE SEX – World Of Grief: Canadian screamo band does my soul good.
10. IRON CHIC – III: You Can’t Stay Here: Long Island, NY pop punk makes me happy.
9. GLASSJAW – Material Control: Post-hardcore band is back from the dead. I’m happy.
8. HEAVEN IN HER ARMS – White Halo: Amazing Japanese screamo/post-blackmetal/whatever.
7. POWER TRIP – Nightmare Logic: Dallas, TX crossover. Thrash album of the year.
6. PALLBEARER – Heartless: Home-state traditional doom wins love and hugs.
5. CAN’T SWIM – Fail You Again: Jersey rock band makes me wonder “What’s Your Big Idea?”
4. PRIMITIVE MAN – Caustic: Heaviest album of the year. Hands down. Fight me, bro.
3. FULL OF HELL – Trumpeting Ecstasy: Grind act gets even heavier and makes me giddy.
2. INCENDIARY – Thousand Mile Stare: NYHC band crushes and grooves all over my face.
1. CONVERGE – The Dusk In Us: The legends do it again and do it fucking well. I love everything about this record from the music to the packaging and I am absolutely blown away by how fucking great it is. I’ve seen it get some hate, but I don’t get it. This is probably my third or forth favorite Converge album of all time. So there.